Tuesday, December 7, 2004

iii'm dreaming.. of a whiiite.. chameleon?

So, it's about that time of year. Happy to say most of my xmas shopping is done (Note, I intentionally refuse to type 'Christmas' the majority of the time. You can see where my mind's at). I haven't put up any lights or a tree in many a year.. not since I was a child.. so I thought I'd put up a few lights this year. Just to spruce things up. I bought some lights, shimmied up the ladder to find a whole ton of wet leaves, sticks, acorns, and about an acre of very healthy moss growing on my roof. I have nothing against moss. I like moss. I'm a moss kinda person. But it just won't do to have it on my roof. So I spent about an hour and a half scraping and sweeping, and was thoroughly exhausted by the time it was done. Then I leaned over the edge to start hanging the lights, which I'm pleased to say went off without misshap. I hope they look okay in the dark. To add insult to injury, about halfway through the sweeping, I got an old song stuck in my head which I had to keep singing the entire time.

see the chameleon
lying there in the sun
all things to everyone
run, run away

You try getting that out of your head once it's firmly wedged in there.

On another note. Went with some friends to a xmas comedy show that's put on yearly by a local acting troupe called red octopus. Bizarre but funny. It's held a pizza place/micro brewery.. the kind of place where local bands try to make a name for themselves and there's amateur paintings (mostly all bad) for sale on the walls. Now, I'm not much of a public drinker. In fact, I pretty much only drink to get pretty well buzzed, which is very rare and almost always in private. There are few things more boring to me than sitting around a little bar table with friends for a couple hours while they merrily down pitchers of beer, waiting until they get tired and drunk enough to disperse. It's kind of like waiting in a doctor's office for a long time. Except the doctor's office has more comfortable chairs.

Oh yeah, also went to a local craft show that's held every year. It's a pretty high quality of craft stuff, and I got some nice things to add to my hoard of objects. Being me, I certainly do feel out of place at those things, though. Poor, friendly folksy people from the Ozarks confronted with weirdness like me. But at least I got a pretty porcelain egg with roses painted on it. I do go for that ultra-femmy, grandmotherly stuff, sometimes.

No comments: