Thursday, March 29, 2007

Soft Yellow

The world is soft and strange outside.  It's the pollen, you see.  Everything's been coated with a thick layer of yellow-green pollen.  It lends an eerie aspect to everything, especially in the evening.  It will soon all be washed away in the rain.  I'm glad I don't have allergies.

The other day I saw more caterpillars than I've ever seen in my life.  It was a caterpillar parade!  Thousands of them, all marching along the edge of a long, stone wall in twos and threes...  a virtual river of undulating fur.  I wish I'd had my camera with me.

I watched Edward Scissorhands last night.  I must have been about 15 when I first saw it, and I connected with it even then.  I've seen it many times since, and it never fails to bring tears to my eyes.  In particular, it's the scene near the end where the girl tells him "Hold me."  He wants to more than anything, but fearing he'll hurt her, replies "I can't" and walks away.  Then she makes him hold her, anyway.  I sometimes feel very much like that.  Being the monster that I am, I'm sometimes afraid of holding the girl, knowing that I'll hurt her.  And, I suppose, I want the girl to make me hold her, anyway.

No comments: