Thursday, May 15, 2008

Wind in the roses

Went for a nighttime walk, while it was cool and windy.  The scent of honeysuckle was on the breeze.  I think there might even be some starting to grow on my backyard fence.  I tried to suckle some honey a few days ago, but it wasn't ripe yet.  Blech.

Elsewhere during my walk I passed a rose garden, which the wind brought to me.  It got me to wondering why the scent of roses is so strongly associate with the feminine.  Is it just the use of perfumes, oils, and bath scents throughout the ages that has permeated the culture with the accompanying associations?  Or is it a deeper sorta thing.. like that study that said the scent of pumpkin pie mixed with lavender inexplicably aroused men.  Peculiar.

On another note, I was looking through some old tv commercials on retrojunk.  I saw a shanghai mcnugget add.. I had practically forgotten about those, but boy did I love em.  They were only out for a short time in the mid 80's, and they came with chopsticks and teriyaki dipping sauce.  I must have asked for those things every day while they were available.  Oh teriyaki mcnugget, where have you gone and why have you foresaken me?



I made homemade teriyaki sauce for chicken once.  I must have overcooked it, cause that chicken was like beef jerky.  Still tasty, though.

No comments: