Wednesday, June 15, 2005

I *owned* this tape? What was I thinking?

I took a nap earlier, just to refresh myself a bit, and ended up having archetypal stress dream. Wandering the halls of my old high school and realizing that finals were in progress and I had no idea where any of my classes were, or even *what* my classes were... scrambling frantically to and fro trying find out where I was supposed to be, knowing I had already missed out on some. I found a classroom with people that seemed familiar, I think it was some literature class, and remembering that I had attended a few classes that semester and I would have no idea what was on the test. Going to sleep can be such a relief, but sometimes, waking up can be a bigger one.

I started a small project just a few hours ago. Like most people my age, I have a bunch of cassette tapes of my old music. I don't think I even got a cd player until I was 17 or so (and at that time cd's were still fairly new and came in these big cardboard sleeves twice the size of the cd so you couldn't steal them). I thought I would try to convert some of these old tapes to mp3 to have them in a more a permanent media. So now I have an old tape player frankensteined up to my computer and I downloaded a (free) music recorder. So far the results haven't been great, but most of the technical jargon I've looked at on how to improve them has gone over my head by like 2 miles (or 41826 Hz), so I'll just leave them as is. I could probably get all these songs easier and with higher quality by just downloading them, but I'm stupid, so I think I'll keep recording. It makes me feel as if I'm actually doing something productive.

No comments: